While there are thousands of Firefox add-ons there are a few I can’t live without; in fact, I install most of these on almost every computer I touch.
- Video DownloadHelper – DownloadHelper is a tool for web content extraction. Its purpose is to capture video and image files from many sites. Very useful for downloading videos from YouTube or other video sites.
- Elasticfox Firefox Extension for Amazon EC2 – ElasticFox is a Mozilla Firefox extension for managing your Amazon EC2 account. Launch new instances, mount Elastic Block Storage volumes, map Elastic IP addresses, and more. NOTE: Elasticfox is no longer officially supported by Amazon. But, thanks to Genki Sugawara Elasticfox-ec2tag lives on and is actively developed.
- New Tab Homepage – A very simple tabbed browsing extension that loads your homepage when you open a new tab. If you have multiple homepages, the first is chosen.
- Session Manager – Session Manager saves and restores the state of all windows – either when you want it or automatically at startup and after crashes. It can also automatically save the state of open windows individually.
- Tree Style Tab – This provides tree-style tab bar, like a folder tree of Windows Explorer. New tabs opened from links (or etc.) are automatically attached to the current tab.
- Web Developer – The Web Developer extension adds various web developer tools to a browser.
Honorable mentions. These are other great Firefox add-ons.
- Firesheep – A Firefox extension that demonstrates HTTP session hijacking attacks.
- Live HTTP Headers – View HTTP headers of a page and while browsing.
- MeasureIt – Draw a ruler across any webpage to check the width, height, or alignment of page elements in pixels.
- Tab Slideshow – Cycles through tabs as a slideshow.
- Sothink Web Video Downloader for Firefox – A simple, clean and easy-to-use FREE Firefox extension for video download and Flash download. Supports Windows/Mac/Linux operating systems and the latest Mozilla Firefox 3.
- User Agent Switcher – The User Agent Switcher extension adds a menu and a toolbar button to switch the user agent of a browser.