When connecting to a Windows 2008 Server using remote desktop from a Windows XP client running service pack 2 or earlier, you get the following error message:
The remote computer requires Network Level Authentication, which your computer does not support.
To enable NLA in XP machines; first install XP SP3, then edit the registry settings on the XP client machine to allow NLA
Configure Network Level Authentication
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
- In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlLsa
- In the details pane, right-click Security Packages, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type tspkg. Leave any data that is specific to other SSPs, and then click OK.
- In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSecurityProviders
- In the details pane, right-click SecurityProviders, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type credssp.dll. Leave any data that is specific to other SSPs, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer.
14 thoughts on “Enabling Network Level Authentication on Windows XP Service Pack 3 for access to Server 2008 via Remote Desktop”
Very nice, works like a charm! Thanks!
Thanks at all =))) All fixed!
Thanks a lot! I had this trouble for long time. Worked like a charm!
Thanks a bunch. It worked.
your rock thanks man
You know it's people like you who make it easier for people like me. Many, many thanks for taking the time to relay your experience and the solution.
Thank you! While the SecurityProvider value exists in Win8.1, I still needed to add the tspkg value in the SecurityPackages under LSA
Many thanks. Problem solved.
It's working greatly. Thank you!
wow worked!!! Thank you very much!
Thank you! I appreciate the assistance!
Thank you. Problem solved
I have the same problem on W7 Pro. I have tried to edit the register but there is a error message "cannot edit SecurityProviders: Error writing the value's new contents" please help