- Enter Windows XP Recovery Console.
- At the Recovery Console command line type the following command, then press Enter.
- The bootcfg utility will scan your hard drives for any Windows XP installations and then display the results. Follow the remaining steps to add your Windows XP installation to the boot.ini file.
- The first prompt asks Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All).
Type Y to answer this question, then press Enter.
- The next prompt asks you to Enter Load Identifier:
This is the name of the operating system. For example, type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition, then press Enter.
- The final prompt asks you to Enter OS Load options:
Type /Fastdetect here and press Enter.
- Remove the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Follow these easy steps to repair the damaged/corrupted boot.ini file or replace it if it has been deleted.