There are always those cases where you either forget the password or don't know it to begin with. Like in the case of purchasing used equipment on eBay or elsewhere.
Resetting the DRAC password can be done using the command line tool, racadm. RACADM can be downloaded from Dell by searching for "racdm download." Once installed racdm.exe will be located, by default, in C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\rac5 (for DRAC 5 on 64-bit Windows OS) or C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\rac5 (for DRAC 5 on 32-bit OS). Navigate to the appropriate directory to run the following commands.
- On Windows 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Vista (or higher) you will have to open a command prompt as administrator for sufficient permissions to run the command. If not you will get the message, "ERROR: Insufficient privilege level - You do not have the required privileges to run this application locally"
- In DRAC 4 the first index slot is “root” by default.
- In DRAC 5 index 1 is “Administrator” and index 2 is “root”. This is essential to know to correctly reset the password.
- DRAC 4: racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 1 <NewPassword>
- DRAC 5: racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 2 <NewPassword>
- DRAC 4: racadm getconfig -g cfgUserAdmin -i 1
- DRAC 5: racadm getconfig -g cfgUserAdmin -i 2
See, "Using the RACADM Command Line Interface" for more information.